SCARCE ORIGINAL 1925 PHOTO BOOK ON WHAT BECAME TEN YEARS LATER HEINRICH HIMMLER'S

SS CASTLE WEWELSBURG

item # C - 396

The 5-1/4 x 7-1/4 inch, 32 page soft cover book by J. Poppelbaum was published in 1925 in Paderborn (which is the town nearby the Wewelsburg) by Bonifazius Druckerei, probably only in a very small number of copies. Who would have thought how important this castle would be only ten years later, when Heinrich Himmler picked this place and planned to turn it into the center of the SS world! The book contains interesting photos and is in very good condition.

Offered for sale is a

SCARCE ORIGINAL 1925 PHOTO BOOK ON WHAT BECAME TEN YEARS LATER HEINRICH HIMMLER'S

SS CASTLE WEWELSBURG

Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler was searching Germany in 1933 for an acceptable site for an Ordensburg (or Order Castle) and Reichsführerschule (or National Leader School) for the high leadership within the SS. Subsequent to a comprehensive investigation, Himmler determined that Wewelsburg possessed the proper Germanic history and site potential to become the home of his “Order of Nordic Men”.

On 27 July 1934 the Nazi Party signed a lease at 1 Reichsmark per year acquiring the rights to Wewelsburg Castle through the year 2033. Wewelsburg became Burg-SS (Fortress SS) and was visited often and continually by the cream of the SS. Himmler was obviously charmed by the history his SS archeologists unearthed at Wewelsburg when he said of the place in 1935, “In this castle the spirits of the original residents will inspire the spirits of the future”. Work on the restoration and adaptation proceeded rapidly once a budget of 250 million Reichsmarks was approved for Projekt Wewelsburg. Prisoners from Konzentrationslager (KL or Concentration Camp) Sachsenhausen joined members of the Freiwilliger Arbeitsdienst (FAD or Voluntary Labor Service), Reichsarbeitsdienst (RAD or State Labor Service) and the SS in the construction and by May 1939 the SS Schule Haus Wewelsburg was occupied under the command of SS General Siegfried Taubert. It was the intention of Himmler to vastly expand both the scope and the construction of Wewelsburg to encompass the entire village, and in anticipation of the labor requirements a new concentration camp was established nearby and called KL Wewelsburg - Niederhagen. An airport was built south of the town and the SS library containing 12,000 volumes was installed in the castle under the direction of SS Bibliotheksleiter Dr. Peter des Coudres. The SS Schule Haus housed a fine collection of art and the personal weapons collection of Himmler.

Please click on the link below to see

THE SCARCE ORIGINAL 1925 PHOTO BOOK ON WHAT BECAME TEN YEARS LATER HEINRICH HIMMLER'S

SS CASTLE WEWELSBURG

IS OFFERED FOR SALE FOR $325.00 INCL. SHIPPING TO ANY ADDRESS IN THE UNITED STATES

(please add $25.00 for airmail shipping worldwide with USPS - insurance and other ways of shipping available at additional cost)

od43 is a division of Warneke, Inc. P.O.Box 2844, Rapid City, SD 57709-2844 USA

All photos and descriptions are Copyright © 2017 by Warneke, Inc.